Thursday, June 11, 2009

NO H8

Excuse me for a minute while I get on my soapbox.

I am passionately in favor of legalizing gay marriage. My reasons are numerous, but what it comes down to for me is this:

Prior to the Supreme Court's ruling in 1967, it was illegal in many states for a black man and a white woman to marry. Today, a vast majority of Americans acknowledge that this was grossly unfair, and a blemish on the history of our country.

Yet today, we are yet again persecuting a group of people by telling them who they can and cannot marry. We were very wrong prior to 1967, so what makes people so sure that they can't be wrong again? Arrogance, that's what.

And if you tell me that race is not chosen but homosexuality is, I will point you to the copious research, including that done on identical twins separated at birth, which suggests otherwise.

And if you tell me that gay marriage will destroy the state of marriage, I will point you to the current divorce rate. I think that we straight people are doing a pretty damn good job of ruining marriages ourselves. Show me how two men or two women being wed will make things worse.

Okay, that's enough preaching for today, but the real reason for this post is that I wanted to point out this awesome campaign called NO H8, which is using the powerful pull of celebrities to protest the passing of Proposition 8 in California. Hopefully, the more voices that are out there talking about this issue, the sooner Americans will come to realize that we are making a mistake that has to be rectified.

Stepping off of my soapbox now, thanks for bearing with me. Back to my regular fluffy posts tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment