Monday, August 24, 2009

Living strong

As I mentioned last week, this Sunday was my third year participating in the LIVESTRONG Challenge. Every year, I am amazed by the size and scope of the event, and every year I plan immediately to go back next year. But what I forget each time, is how profoundly I am touched by the survivors and other participants of the Challenge. Events like this can really put your life into perspective.

Husband driving you crazy?



At the finish line, there are two lanes, one for survivors, one for everyone else. This couple was walking in front of us as we neared the finish. As they got close to the end, the man (a survivor) grabbed her hand as they walked in their separate lanes across the finish line.

Kids making you nuts?



This five year old girl crossed the finish line in the survivor lane, with her mother on the opposite side. She was asked to come up to the podium and given a prize because, well, she's five years old and is a cancer survivor. She was so sweet and timid, and it's impossible to imagine the things she's already been through in her short life.

This year I'm going to try to remember that little girl and that strong couple, whenever my very blessed life seems too difficult. It's amazing how much we take for granted.

On a lighter note, here are a few pictures of my friends and me before and after the walk/run/ride.







On one last note, thank you to my friends and family who donated to my fundraising efforts this year -- it is greatly appreciated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment